Thursday, August 5, 2010

uterine irritability

Just a quick update tonight- I'm hoping to get more sleep tonight since they wake me up frequently to give meds or take vital signs.  Yesterday and today have been a little more complicated.  I caught a cold from Emma, which usually would not be a big deal, but this uncontrollable, forceful coughing has made the leaking worse.  Yesterday I noticed a big increase in the flow of amniotic fluid and it got really red.  Scary...  Then today I started having cramps in my lower back and abdomen- very similar to menstrual cramps.  They would get worse every few minutes.  Every time they monitored my contractions they would say that I was having some uterine irritability.  Which basically means I was experiencing very mild, irregular contractions.  The nurse gave me a shot of brethine and the cramping went away.  My doctor thinks that my cervix is probably dilating some since I'm seeing blood in the amniotic fluid, but we don't know how much, or for sure because she doesn't want to risk introducing any infection by checking my cervix.  Thankfully an OB doctor specializing in high-risk pregnancies is coming tomorrow to do an ultrasound on both babies.  I am praying that we receive good news and that Baby A still has some fluid in there.  I just really want to know what is going on in there now.  They do monitor the heartbeats several times a day and they always look good.

One of my very favorite Psalms in Psalm 91.  These are a few verses from it that I love and that give me comfort.  I think that it is such a beautiful picture of God protecting us when we run to him, like a mother hen gathering her chicks under her wing.  He is my safe resting place, and I know there is no one or thing stronger or bigger than Him.

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the LORD, 'He is my refuge and fortress, my God, in whom I trust'." (vs 1-2)

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge" (vs 4)

"If you make the Most High your dwelling-even the LORD, who is my refuge-then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent.  For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone" (vs9-12)

"'Because he loves me', says the LORD, 'I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.  He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver and honor him'."   

No comments:

Post a Comment